The Town owns and operates a wastewater system comprised of a Wastewater treatment facility, three sanitary pump stations and a network of over 58 km of gravity sewers.

Wastewater is collected in sanitary and combined sewers. The Wastewater is conveyed by gravity and/or pump stations (forcemains) to the treatment facility. The Wastewater Treatment Plant is located at the intersection of Queen Street and Hershey Drive. The wastewater plant is a Class IV nitrifying treatment activated sludge plant which includes:

  • a raw sewage lift station
  • screening and grit removal
  • primary treatment
  • secondary treatment
  • tertiary filtration
  • effluent disinfection using ultraviolet light.

Primary and thickened waste activated sludge is then dewatered, dried and converted into fertilizer materials that are marketed for off-site reuse. All wastewater is treated in accordance with the requirements of the Ministry before to discharging into the Rideau River.

Sanitary sewer services

Wastewater is water released from drains, toilets, sinks or appliances. Wastewater is transported through underground service line connections and sanitary sewer systems. Service line connections consist of two parts:

  1. The Town side that runs from the mainline to the property line.
  2. The private side that runs from the property line to the buildings plumbing systems. This part is the responsibility of the property owner.

If you need to repair or replace your sewer service you must have an approved building permit. For more information please contact the Building Department at 613-283-4124 Ext. 1132.

Sewer blockage

In the event of a sewer blockage, it is the owner's responsibility to clear any obstructions from the house to the mainline. Blockages are usually caused by a build up of solids originating from the existing building or house. Blockages are most often caused by:

  • excess paper and wipes
  • grease, fat and oil
  • sanitary supplies and personal hygiene products
  • roots from nearby trees

If only one fixture (tap, toilet, etc.) is not draining this indicates a private plumbing issue.

If your plumber is unable to clear a blockage in the Town's section of the service, please contact the Public Works & Utilities Department at 613-283-4124 Ext 3302 and municipal staff will carry out an on-site assessment.

Reports and publications

Contact Us

Subscribe to this page