NEW! The Town of Smiths Falls now offers the ability to complete your marriage licence application online. There is no need to come in and submit your application, it will be sent directly to our Clerk’s Office  electronically where it will be processed. Once completed a Deputy Division Registrar will contact you to make an appointment to come in and issue the licence and applicants can make payment.

Completing the online application will take 25-30 minutes and both applicants must be present to provide their required information and to certify the online form.   Once submitted a reference number will be provided to you and this can be used if the applicants need to contact the Deputy Division Registrar department about the application.

The required supporting documentation can be uploaded to the online application, but the originals must be presented at the time that the licence is issued. Once submitted the application cannot be changed, so please ensure that it has been carefully reviewed.

To obtain a marriage licence, ensure that both parties meet the criteria below, and then complete the online application form.

Application Form

Alternatively, a secondary option to obtain a marriage licence would be:

  1. Complete a Marriage Licence Application. The application must be signed by both applicants.
  2. Submit the application with the required documents via email to .  You will be sent a confirmation email upon receipt.
  3. Your application and documents will be reviewed.   Staff will contact you directly if there are any questions regarding your application and to set up an appointment for issuance.
  4. The required documents for both applicants, as indicated on the application, must be brought to the Town Hall to complete the license; documents must be originals, photocopies are not acceptable.  At least one of the applicants must attend in-person to pick up the licence
  5. Complete and pickup your licence from the Clerk’s Office at the Town Hall.

If you do not have access to email, paper copies of the application and any other the required documents can be  picked up/dropped off  at the Town Hall, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls.

 Fees & Appointments
 Licence Fee: $140.00 for residents or $150.00 for out of town residents. The licence fee can be paid by cash or interact on the day of your appointment.
Appointments: Appointments are scheduled between 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. only, Monday to Friday. The appointment will take approximately 15 minutes and you must be present for this time period. Applicants must bring all original documentation (i.e. ID’s, Divorce Certificate, etc.) to their appointment for the marriage licence to be issued.
 Required Documents when Applying for a Marriage Licence
 The required documents, must be brought to Town Hall by the applicant in order to obtain the marriage license. All documents must be originals or certified true copies, photocopies will not be accepted.


Both parties must have two pieces of government issued identification when applying for a marriage licence. Both pieces of identification must include your birthdate, and at least one must include photo identification. Please note that Social Insurance Number (SIN) cards are not acceptable forms of identification to apply for a marriage licence.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • Government issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
  • Valid passport
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid Ontario photo card

Expired forms of identification will not be accepted.

All forms of identification must be in English or have a certified translation.

 Previous Marriage: Divorce or Widow
 Canadian Divorce

If either applicant’s previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original certified copy or a certified true copy of the Final Decree, the Final Judgement or a Certificate of Divorce must be submitted to the Issuer of Marriage Licences. A Divorce Order or Decree Nisi is not acceptable. Certified copies can be obtained from the court that granted the divorce. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Foreign Divorce

If either applicant’s previous marriage has been dissolved or annulled outside Canada, authorization from the Registrar General’s Office is required before a marriage licence may be issued. To obtain this authorization, the applicants, or a lawyer representing them, must submit:

  • Completed marriage application form, signed by both applicants;
  • Certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce or Annulment from the jurisdiction where the divorce was granted, sealed by the court (including a certified translation, if the divorce is in another language);
  • Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorcee, signed by both applicants (blank affidavits are available from the Clerk’s department or can be obtained here); and
  • Legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons as to why the divorce or annulment should be recognized by the Province of Ontario.

These documents must be submitted to:
The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario
P7B 6L8


Widow or Widower

If either applicant is a widow or widower, they are not required to produce a death certificate to obtain a marriage licence.

 Additional Information & Helpful Links

No person under 16 years of age may be married. Anyone aged 16 or 17 wishing to apply for a marriage licence must have both parents or guardians fill out a consent form at the Clerks department at the time of application, with the exception of applicants who are widowed or divorced.

If a parent or guardian refuses to provide consent, application may be made to a judge for an order dispensing with consent. Contact the Clerk’s department for additional information.


Helpful links:

Getting Married in Ontario:

Before you get married:

Requirements Respecting Marriage in Ontario:

Marriage Licence Application:


Contact Us

Subscribe to this page