The Town of Smiths Falls is vulnerable to emergencies such as tornadoes, floods, winter storms and major transportation accidents. Emergency preparedness by residents and the Town of Smiths Falls will help to minimize the impact that an emergency could have on our community.
The Town of Smiths Falls has an Emergency Response Plan and a Community Control Group that annually performs training, risk analysis and emergency exercises.
Families and businesses can prepare for emergencies by developing a 72 Hour Kit which will assist in dealing with basic needs during an emergency.
72 Hour Kit – Suggested items
- Water, three day supply (minimum 1 litre per person a day, ideally 4 litres a day(
- Water purification tablets (or household bleach)
- Food bars, preserved foods
- Clothing, walking shoes
- Work gloves
- Dust mask
- Emergency blanket
- First Aid Kit
- Multi purpose knife
- 12 hour light sticks
- Flashlight battery operated
- Radio batteries
- Sportsman’s Survival bag (shelter)
- Whistle pouch and money (should include coins)
- Extra keys for your car and house
- Personal toiletries (toothbrush/paste, soap, face cloth, mirror, comb etc.)
- Medicine (should include Rx, Rx glasses etc.)
- Dry pet food (don’t forget pet’s Rx)
- Writing pad and pencil (especially useful for leaving notes)
- Large garbage bags, string (misc. uses, i.e. shoelaces etc.)
- Duct tape (repair poncho, shelter, plastic bags etc.)
- Copies of ID
- Games (i.e. deck of cards)
- Emergency phone contact list
Please visit the Emergency Management Ontario Website to learn more about preparing a 72 hour kit and for information and tools to prepare your family and pets for an emergency.
In the case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1 to reach the Lanark County Ambulance Service, Smiths Falls Fire Department or Smiths Falls Police Service.
View the Smiths Falls Emergency Plan: