Business Resources (former page)
Training & Support Resources
The Small Business Advisory Centre (Smiths Falls, Lanark County, northern Leeds Grenville) will be hosting three free webinars on the following topics.
- How to Manage Your Cash Flow Through the Covid-19 Crisis
- How To Market Your Business Through the Covid-19 Crisis
- How to Operate Remotely and Online Through the Covid-19 Crisis
The three webinars will be led by Andrew Patricio, the founder and owner of BizLaunch.
For details visit: https://smallbizcentre.ca/events-and-seminars/
Algonquin College FREE Online Business Courses
Digital Tools to Keep Business Communications Open
Hawktree Solutions is a private company under license to host and manage the Canadian Red Cross merchandise shop. If you are in need of a bulk order of masks, please contact them directly. There is a 10 day delivery timeline.
Jason Plut, National Sales Manager | Hawktree Solutions
(289) 273-5370 | (905) 329-9412 | email@example.com products.redcross.ca | produits.croixrouge.ca
204-220 Kennevale Drive, Ottawa ON K2J 6B6
Essential Services information
Following advice from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, on April 3, 2020, Ontario updated the list of essential businesses that can remain open. The restrictions are aimed at further reducing contact between people and stopping the spread of COVID-19. Please click on this link for the updated list:
The province has launched a toll-free line 1-888-444-3659 to provide support to Ontario businesses who have questions about the province’s recent emergency order to close at-risk workplaces following recommendations by Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. For more information visit:
Message from the Province of Ontario
Help fight Coronavirus. Offer emergency products, services and innovative solutions to support our response to Covid-19
- Supply emergency products like ventilators, swabs and masks
- Submit innovative solutions for specific scenarios
- Submit a proposal for ideas, other products or services to help Ontarians
Message from The Government of Canada
Are you a business that can supply products and services in support of Canada’s response to COVID-19?
Canada wants to hear from you. Find out more here.
Business Advice Contact Information
Business Advisors are available via phone and email to provide support:
General Business Advice for COVID-19
Cindy James, The Small Business Advisory Center 613-283-7002 x 108 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Support with Cashflow Management for COVID-19
Scott Runte, Launch Lab: email@example.com
Canadian Business Resilience Network
In partnership with the Government of Canada, the Canadian Chamber of Commerce established the Canadian Business Resilience Network to help Canadian businesses navigate the COVID-19 reality and prepare for recovery.
The Ontario and Canadian Chamber of Commerce Preparedness Help:
Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)
Town of Smiths Falls
Further to legislative changes, Town of Smiths Falls planning and building staff have prepared a notice outlining the current service options for building and planning.
The Federal Government has announced a 75% wage subsidy available for businesses that have suffered a 30% or more loss in revenue due to COVID-19.
Check out this link for more information:
The Canada Emergency Business Account has Been Created
The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Export Development Canada (EDC), both financial Crown corporations, are working closely with private sector lenders to improve access to financing for Canadian businesses.
- All employers covered by the WSIB can defer premium payment and reporting for six months, until August 31, 2020. There will be no interest or penalties on deferred payments. Employers are automatically eligible, and don’t need to apply or opt-in.
- Deferral of Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) remittances and customs duty payments to June 30, 2020.
- CRA will extend until June 30, 2020 the time that:
- Monthly filers have to remit amounts collected for the February, March and April 2020 reporting periods;
- Quarterly filers have to remit amounts collected for January 1, 2020 through March 31, 2020 reporting period; and
- Annual filers, whose GST/HST return or instalment are due in March, April or May 2020, have to remit amounts collected and owing for their previous fiscal year and instalments of GST/HST in respect of the filer’s current fiscal year.
To support workers and help businesses keep their employees, the government has created the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).
This taxable benefit will provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The CERB will be a simpler and more accessible combination of the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and Emergency Support Benefit. Click on this link for more information:
Canada’s 6 big banks are offering deferred mortgage payments and various credit product support. Call your local branch for details.
Valley Heartland Community Futures Development Corporation
Existing Valley Heartland clients – The following options are being offered for existing CFDC loan clients in good standing: For the time period DATE MARCH 16TH – APRIL 30TH * (2 payments). Client to contact the office and request one of the following options:
- Suspended payments
- Interest only payments
- Reduction of payment to meet the client cash flow requirements
* Currently Valley Heartland has $4.6 million at work in the Community
Any existing business in Lanark County and North Leeds – SMALL BUSINESS LOAN *** EFFECTIVE UNTIL APRIL 30TH*
- No payments for initial 2 months
- Interest rates of 3.45% (prime)
- Application and admin fees waived
- Decision in 48 hours for existing clients – up to 96 hours for new clients
Business can access small business loans of up to $15,000 at prime (currently 3.45%) to be used for working capital or other expenses incurred or expected to be incurred due to COVID-19 and its economic impact on the business:
- $15,000 at 3.45% over 4 years = payment $335.01
- $10,000 at 3.45% over 3 years = payment $292.80
- $5,000 at 3.45% over 2 years = payment $215.90
Farm Credit Canada (FCC) has received an enhancement to its capital base that will allow for an additional $5 billion in lending capacity.
More information can be found at:
Work-Sharing Program pages
Employment and Social Development Canada