Public Notice: Town seeks GIS & Asset Management Coordinator
The Town of Smiths Falls
Requires One (1) Full Time Employee (35 hours/week)
GIS & ASSET MANAGEMENT COORDINATOR
(Deadline for Submission Extended to April 8, 2021 @ 4PM)
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) Full Time Employee (35 hours/week) GIS & Asset Management Coordinator. Under the direction of the Director of Public Works and Utilities, you will form part of a team in our Public Works and Utilities Department.
The GIS & Asset Management Coordinator is responsible for:
1. Assist in the development and implementation of the Town’s Corporate Asset Management Plan and related policy and procedures.
2. Analyze and maintain the asset and geomatics database in addition to performing lifecycle analysis relating to the rehabilitation or upgrade of the Town’s various infrastructure assets.
3. Responsible for the development and implementation of standard processes for collecting, updating, maintaining and managing the asset infrastructure information, condition inspections and mapping.
4. Maintain the relevant parts of the asset registry through field inspections, asset data collection, and proficient use of the Town’s asset management software systems (e.g., CityWide, GIS, Excel etc..).
5. Develop, implement and monitor best practices for asset rehabilitation/renewal analysis, including developing techniques for lifecycle analysis, condition assessments, inspection programs and developing service levels standards and performance measures.
6. Work with departments to establish risk management practices and performance measurement.
7. Research and forecast asset management trends, projecting current activities and programs into longer term needs.
8. Prepare comprehensive reports and recommendations on the Town’s assets based on detailed analysis for a varied audience.
9. Assist in preparation of the Town’s municipal capital budgets and related schedules.
10. Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of Public Works and Utilities.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree from a recognized college or university with a concentration in geographical information systems (GIS) and/or a civil engineering-based program.
- 1 to 2 years of applied knowledge of GIS programming, web-based GIS technologies, spatial database modelling, municipal infrastructure data management including experience in engineering planning, design and implementation of tailored spatial databases and systems is required.
- Proficiency in computer software such as AutoCAD, geographic information systems (ArcGis), Microsoft Office, and related database software.
- Knowledge of and experience with global positioning systems (GPS) in data conversion, data transfer, retrieval and data acquisition
- Excellent presentation and graphic design skills for the creation of professional quality maps and related products.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to effectively explain technical job components to users of varying subject knowledge.
- Efficient multi-tasking skills along with an established ability to prioritize and adjust plans in a busy environment
- Eligible for, or a member of the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists.
- Valid and satisfactory Police Records Check.
- Valid Ontario G Driver’s License at all times during employment.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by April 8, 2021, at 4:00 p.m., to Brenda Martineau, Human Resources Advisor, Town of Smiths Falls, P.O. Box 695, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4T6 or via email at email@example.com
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.