Public Notice: Smiths Falls seeks new Economic and Community Development Coordinator
The Town of Smiths Falls
Requires One (1) Full Time
Economic and Community Development Coordinator
The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) Full Time Employee Economic and Community Development Coordinator. Under the direction of the Manager of Economic Development and Tourism
- Working with the community and regional partners to derive positive development outcomes and to participate on committees as required
- Coordinate and facilitate familiarization tours for qualified leads, including, but not limited to facilitated meetings with local businesses, individual tours, and group tours
- Planning and execution of Town and Town supported events, including post-event evaluation (information on event statistics and outcomes)
- Assist in executing annual BR&E data collection programs
- Provide support and client service for local and regional partnerships
- Review and research funding opportunities for the Town of Smiths Falls
- Conduct primary and secondary research to identify potential businesses of interest in conjunction with scheduled trade shows and events
- Provide industry trends and economic development information to the appropriate staff
- Conduct primary and secondary research on the high growth potential sectors as identified in the strategic plan as requested
- Coordinate other specialized projects as directed
- Organize materials and assist in the preparation of business correspondence, internal and external reports, agendas and itineraries, media releases, general communications, and special events
- Assist in day to day budget monitoring for the department by preparing accounting requisitions, invoices, etc., and tracking and reporting on purchases and spending for tourism related buys.
- Work with the Economic Development Manager to develop annual budget and program outlines.
- Managing the schedule for the Economic Development Manager, including scheduling appointments, making travel arrangements, completing expense reports, and coordinating meetings and events
- Act as an ambassador of Town of Smiths Falls
- Act as back up to Communications and Marketing Coordinator (as needed)
- Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant will possess:
- A Post-Secondary degree or certificate in Economic Development, Business Administration or related discipline.
- Minimum of three (3) years of business support experience in a fast-paced business environment managing multiple priorities
- Experience in primary and secondary research methodologies and business report writing
- Event planning and management experience
- Strong customer service orientation
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and interact professionally with all levels of the organization
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication with strong writing abilities
- Highly effective skills in prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management
- Proven organizational skills with the ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately
- Ability to assimilate information from a variety of sources
- Proactive, enthusiastic self-starter with advanced problem-solving skills
- Advanced software skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Design Suites, social media, word press, etc.
- A valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the local economy and tourism industry in Eastern Ontario and the Town of Smiths Falls considered an asset
- Proficient in a second language (French preferred) considered an asset
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by Wednesday January 26, 2022, at 4:00 p.m., to Lynda McKimm, Human Resources Advisor, Town of Smiths Falls, P.O. Box 695, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4T6 or via email at email@example.com
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.