Public Notice: Feedback sought for Phase 2 design of Beckwith Street
May 6, 2021
Town of Smiths Falls seeks public input for Phase 2 design for Beckwith Street
The Town of Smiths Falls is seeking feedback from landowners, businesses, and citizens of Smiths Falls for the Phase 2 design process for Beckwith Street.
Currently, the Town’s design team of Morrison Hershfield, CSW Landscape Architects and Thurber Engineering (Geotechnical) have finalized the majority of the advanced design work for Phase 2 (Russell St. to Elmsley St.) following the blueprint of the Phase 1 complete street now in service.
A key part of the Phase 2 design process is to ensure we have captured critical feedback from the public.
Your participation in the consultation will help the Town consider the needs and wants of the community. Some key highlights of the Phase 2 design include:
- Upgrades to the Beckwith and Elmsley Street traffic signals for enhanced operations and accessibility including: tactile markers, countdown timers and audible signals. The Design also proposes the removal of the southbound “right turn ramp” for a improved and protected pedestrian crossing in this area;
- Cycle tracks have been provided along with “bike boxes” at Beckwith/Elmsley to increase visibility and priority for on-road cyclists navigating through the signalized intersection;
- Proposal for a new gateway feature proposed at Elmsley Street (form and theme are yet to be determined);
- Enhanced streetscape with increased tree planting for increased shade areas;
- An enhanced barrier free street with additional designated accessible parking spaces (increase from 1 to 4 spaces); and
- Addition of a pedestrian activated crossover (PXO) device at Church Street for short cycled pedestrian crossings.
Business owners and citizens of Smiths Falls are invited to take the time to visit Speak Up Smiths Falls at https://speakupsmithsfalls.com/beckwith-street-phase-2 to review the Phase 2 documentation and suggested designs and provide feedback.
You can also download the documents here:
- Beckwith Phase 2 Elmsley Gateway Features and Themes
- Beckwith Phase 2 Presentation Plan
- Beckwith Phase 2 Sections
- Beckwith Phase 2 General Layout
Feedback will be collected until May 19, 2021.