Media Release: Smiths Falls lifts restrictions at some municipal assets as province moves into Step 1 of reopening
June 10, 2021
In response to the provincial announcement of Step 1 of reopening, the Town of Smiths Falls is pleased to announce the lifting of restrictions for the use of some municipal assets, effective Friday, June 11, 2021.
“We are excited to be entering Step 1 of Ontario’s reopening and the resumption of activities we have all been waiting for. Thank you to everyone who has helped us get here, by getting vaccinated and by following public health recommendations,” said Mayor Shawn Pankow. “Now more than ever we must remain vigilant to ensure we can continue to move forward with reopening this summer.”
On Friday, June 11 the province of Ontario will be entering Step 1 of the provincial three-step re-opening plan. The newest changes in restrictions applies to nearly all businesses and public spaces in Ontario.
In Smiths Falls, outdoor play structures and outdoor fitness areas are currently open, including the splash pad at Lower Reach Park. The water trampoline at Murphy Park will also be open for public use, once installed in the coming days.
The library will be available for use for computers or fax; curbside pick-up will remain in place for all other services.
The Smiths Falls Memorial Community Centre will remain in operation as a vaccine clinic. The walking track is currently unavailable for public use. Team practices and league play are currently not permitted.
Use of any of these locations is permitted so long as physical distancing of at least two metres is maintained at all times for those outside of your household.
As part of the Step 1 of reopening, the following restrictions are in place:
- outdoor social gatherings and organized public events may have up to 10 people
- outdoor religious services (including weddings and funeral services) may have as many people as the outdoor space can contain while meeting the two-metre physical distancing restrictions
- non-essential retail will reopen at 15 per cent capacity, with no restrictions on the goods that can be sold
- essential retail will reopen at 25 per cent capacity
- outdoor dining on a patio will be permitted for up to four people per table (with some exceptions)
- outdoor fitness classes and personal training or sport training will be permitted up to 10 people
The requirement to wear a mask while in an enclosed public space remains in effect.
It’s anticipated that the province will remain in Step 1 for a minimum of three weeks (21 days) in order to evaluate the impacts of the change in restrictions. As the COVID-19 situation changes, additional restrictions could be introduced or changed at any time.
The Town of Smiths Falls’ Emergency Control Group will continue to provide updates to provincial orders as changes are made, and the Community Emergency Management Coordinator will continue to work in conjunction with the Leeds Grenville Lanark District Health Unit.
For more information visit:
- Province of Ontario full media release on Step 1: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/1000279/ontario-to-move-to-step-one-of-roadmap-to-reopen-on-june-11
- Province of Ontario website for COVID-19: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/index.html
- Health Unit website for COVID-19: healthunit.org/coronavirus
Stop the spread of COVID-19
As the province moves forward with Step 1 of the provincial re-opening, there are actions both residents and businesses can do in order to keep themselves, and others safe, including:
- Staying home when feeling unwell.
- Observing physical distancing rules and maintaining at least two metres between yourself and others at all times.
- Wearing a cloth face covering indoors or when maintaining distance is difficult.
- Practicing good hand hygiene, carrying hand wipes or hand sanitizer at all times.
The Town of Smiths Falls offers resources for businesses and residents on its COVID-19 resource page at https://www.smithsfalls.ca/public-safety/covid-19-coronavirus/
Businesses requiring additional information for re-opening guidelines can call the province of Ontario’s Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.
For further information, please contact:
Chief Administrative Officer
Town of Smiths Falls
77 Beckwith St. N., Smiths Falls, ON
Phone 613-283-4124 ext. 1104
Town of Smiths Falls
77 Beckwith St N, Smiths Falls, ON K7A 2B8
613-283-4124 ext. 1110