Comprehensive Zoning By-law Review
The Town of Smiths Falls has initiated a review of its Comprehensive Zoning By-law. The process will result in a new Zoning By-law that will replace the Town’s current Zoning By-law (No. 6080-94) as amended, which was first adopted by Council in 1994.
The Comprehensive Zoning By-law Review will be undertaken in four (4) phases. There will be opportunities for public engagement throughout the process, including a virtual Zoning Issues Workshop, a Statutory Public Open House and a Statutory Public Meeting under the Planning Act, and the review of draft documents as they become available. The project is anticipated to be completed in Spring 2022.
Below, you will find the latest project updates and engagement activities through which you can provide your input to the Town. Check in often and tell us what you think!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a Zoning By-law?
A Zoning By-law is a legal document prepared in accordance with the requirements under Section 34 of the Planning Act. It implements the Town’s Official Plan policies by establishing detailed standards for how a property may be developed, including:
- the types of uses that are permitted on a property;
- where buildings and structures can be located on a property;
- requirements for lot area and dimensions (e.g. lot width);
- maximum building heights;
- requirements for minimum setbacks from streets, lot lines, and waterbodies; and
- parking and landscaping requirements.
Why is the Town reviewing its Zoning By-law?
The Town’s Zoning By-law is required to implement the land use policies set out in the Town’s 2016 Official Plan. There is also a need to implement key zoning-related recommendations from recent municipal documents, including the Downtown Parking Management and Regulations Study and Housing Task Force Report.
This review provides an opportunity to modernize and streamline the Town’s zoning requirements, with consideration for considering new or revised definitions, Zones, and standards to support the vision for future development in Smiths Falls.
How can I participate in this process?
Register with your name and contact information with Planning staff to stay informed as the project progresses, including opportunities to participate and review draft documents as they become available.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: 613-283-4124 ext. 1116
- Phase 1: Background Study and Review (June-August 2021)
- Virtual Zoning Issues Workshop
- Discussion Paper
- Phase 2: Develop Approach (September-October 2021)
- Zoning Strategy Report
- Phase 3: Draft New Zoning By-law (November 2021-February 2022)
- Draft Zoning By-law
- Statutory Public Open House
- Phase 4: Refinement and Finalization of New Zoning By-law and Council Approval (March-May 2022)
- Final Zoning By-law
- Statutory Public Meeting
- Council Adoption